8.20.2008

Mom help

For the last few weeks Lucas has had a hard time napping. He goes to sleep great at first but only sleeps for a half an hour and wakes up for no reason wiggling and crying. I go in and make sure everything is okay and put his binky back in but he can't seem to ever fall back asleep. Some naps he sleeps awesome for two hours but this only happens a couple times a week. I try to put him to bed before he is completely asleep so that he can learn to fall asleep by himself. Does anyone have any tips on how to make him nap longer or to help him soothe himself to sleep when he wakes himself up?

9 comments:

The Swensons said...

You are so smart to put him to bed awake - it will help him sleep better later on.

I found when I had Gavin that he would wake up a lot like that, and it helped a lot if I left music or my tv on in the background. Then every little noise I made didn't wake him up because there was already noise. Maybe that's a possibility with Lucas?

I have other suggestions but I don't want to be overbearing! Just know that it is okay to let him cry for 5 or 10 minutes. You never know, he may fall back asleep on his own! My kids surprised me quite a few times by doing that.

Megan said...

Anna went through that phase - 20 minute naps. It only lasted a little bit - thank heavens. I don't even remember what things worked for her really. How sleep deprivation made about 3 months of my life a complete blur ;)

I remember finding info and help from other moms about it here though: http://www.babywhispererforums.com/
(you have to register, but it's quick and free)

Good luck! And I love all the new pics on the side of your blog.

Chelsie said...

ah the balloon festival looked fabulous!! i haven't been to that since hike school! hmm the sleeping...cooper went through phases...i think it's normal (sadly) for them to go through them...but music helped with coop too. he loved baby einstein...so i would play the soundtrack on low in his room and that helped...but like megan said...those first few months really are a blur looking back....

Barb said...

Ava hasnt had this problem (yet). I'm sure its going to come soon though! I'm sure Austin did this, but I'm with the others I cant remember what I did. I do know that Ava does really well in the day sleeping in her swing. She loves motion and she could sleep in there all day if I let her. So maybe a different scenerio with some motion or noise might help him stay asleep longer. Good luck!

brynn eyre said...

I think my kid is special because the swing just makes him even more awake. he loves his swing he just sits and smiles and looks around and talks, not so much sleeping going on! I wish I could get him to sleep in the swing! My mom just laughs because she says I was the same way. I was just really awake and aware of EVERYTHING around me! He is the least sleepy baby that I have ever met but I love him!

Shauna said...

Just let Lucas sleep where ever he will sleep. I used to stress because Jace would only sleep in his little chair that vibrated so then I just stuck it in the crib. I also wondered if you are still swaddling him...Ellie is 9 months old and still has to be swaddled to go to sleep and then she gets her arms out later.

brynn eyre said...

Lucas has got out of the swaddle since he was a little over a month old. We swaddle his body and his feet as much as possible but he freaks out if we swaddle his arms. he kicks his legs out of the swaddle in like two minutes! Maybe I should try it again and see if it helps? Maybe I am horrible at swaddling too?!?!

Shel said...

With Ellie I used a air purifier for the white noise. My doctor said that it would be a good idea and mask any other noise that was going on. She still sleeps with it. Like someone else said... it doesn't hurt to let him fuss for a little while... at his age no more than 5 min. Keep up the good work!

Shel said...

Another thought Brynn. Sana said and I agree that the only reason that babies that age wake up is because they either have a messy diaper or they are still hungry... see if feeding him more helps.